• 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

In The Courts (2020): Two convicted in Kuala Lurah killing

BY Fadley Faisal

Two men linked to the Kuala Lurah killing will learn of their fate on October 8 after they pleaded guilty to charges of culpable homicide of Haji Aziz bin Haji Johara, 44, and abetting it, in the High Court on Thursday.

Chief Justice Dato Seri Paduka Steven Chong, sitting with Judge Muhammed Faisal bin Pehin Datu Juragan Laila Diraja Colonel (Rtd) Pehin Dato Seri Pahlawan Haji Kefli, reserved his sentencing for October 8 while considering a fitting punishment for Yusree bin Haji Ya’akub @ Yakub, 38, and Supariddin bin Haji Mat Jinin, 45.

Prosecution lead Hajah Anifa Rafiza binti Haji Abdul Ghani, with Nurjauinah binti Haji Kula and Ahmad Firdaus bin Mohammad, urged the court to pass a sentence on the higher end citing the duo’s blatant disregard of the law by executing their plan in public which calls for a deterrent sentence.

Defence counsels Ahmad Zakaria Mohammad, for Yusree, and Shazale Haji Mohd Salleh, for Supariddin, pleaded for the court’s consideration on the duo’s family circumstances and take into account the delay in bringing the case to a conclusion.

In summary, the prosecution’s case states that the duo had banded with other men headed for Kuala Lurah in vengeance against the victim’s friend named Haji Ismadi and his companions for their assault on two members of their own group.

Close to midnight on January 11, 2017 Supariddin, armed with a baseball bat, travelled in a car with his friends and acted as a lookout to inform the arrival of Haji Ismadi back to Brunei from Limbang.

Meanwhile Yusree and his friends who were armed with a knife, katana, a baseball bat and other weapons travelled in another car and stood by the roadside to wait for the arrival.

Haji Tuah, abetting by instigating the killing, arrived back from Limbang and joined the others telling them that he had seen Haji Ismadi across the border.

The gang did not encounter Haji Ismadi as expected, but Haji Tuah had spotted his car being driven by the victim, passing the Kuala Lurah control post heading towards Bandar Seri Begawan.

Haji Tuah reported to the gang and said that Haji Ismadi might be in the car with the victim.

Haji Tuah left the scene before the attack happened while Supariddin and his friends stayed.

The armed gang of over 10 men including Yusree then launched their attack and killed the victim.

Supariddin approached the victim’s car, and on finding that Haji Ismadi was nowhere to be found, he started damaging the car using the baseball bat he had carried.

-- Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

Related Articles